Walnuts are among the oldest tree foods grown by man with their importance being highlighted back in 7000 B.C. Today due to diet restriction and several disbelief’s people avoid eating walnuts considering that they are calorie-rich and fat dense in nature.
Here are top 10 walnuts must be incuded as a part of healthy diet.
1. Helps weight loss: Contrary to what people believe, walnuts can from a part of weight management diet. Several studies have suggested that regular consumption of walnuts is unlikely to cause weight gain or obesity. In fact, an ounce of walnuts contains 2.5 gram of omega 3 fats, 4 gram of protein and 2 gram of fibre that help provide satiety.
2. Induces sleep: Walnuts contain a compound called melatonin, responsible for conveying messages regarding the cycle of light and dark to the body. Since melatonin is already synthesised by the body, consumption of walnuts increases the blood levels of melatonin, thereby inducing sleep. That’s why eating walnuts can be a great way to improve sleep.
3. Great for your hair: Walnut is a good ‘hair food’ too. This is because walnuts contain biotin (vitamin B7) that helps strengthen hair, reduce hair fall and improve hair growth to certain extent. In addition to walnuts, you can try these foods to prevent hair loss.
4. Prevent heart disease: Among all the dietary plants and nuts, walnuts contain the highest amount of antioxidants. Around 100 gram of walnuts will give more than 20mmol antioxidants; which makes them extremely effective in combating hearth disease by their ability to destroy free radicals.
5. Prevent diabetes: All types of nuts are associated with a lowered risk of diabetes and walnuts are no exception. According a study, women who consumed 28 grams of walnuts twice a week were 24% less likely to develop type 2 diabetes. The study was published in the Journal of Nutrition, and even though it was conducted on women, experts believe that the benefits would be similar for men too.
6. Boost your sperm quality: Eating 2.5 ounces of walnuts per day improves semen quality in healthy young men, researchers say. According to a study by UCLA researchers, eating 75 grams of walnuts a day improves the vitality, motility, and morphology of sperm in healthy men aged 21 to 35.
7. Makes your skin glow: Walnuts are rich in B-vitamins and antioxidants that prevents your skin from free radical damage and prevents wrinkles and signs of ageing. So if you want glowing skin long into your middle-age, eat walnuts.
8. Can keep dementia at bay: Eating walnuts everyday can help ward of dementia. In the study, Dr. Abha Chauhan and his team from the New York State Institute found that mice deprived of walnuts suffered a dramatic loss in learning, memory and physical and emotional control.
9. Prevents pancreatic cancer: A new study has found that consumption of nuts, including walnuts, is inversely associated with risk of pancreatic cancer, independent of other potential risk factors for pancreatic cancer.
10. Helps you live longer: Eating a handful of walnuts just thrice a week is the key to a longer life, a study has found. Scientist discovered that these edible seeds cut the risk of dying from cancer by 40 percent and from cardiovascular disease by at least 55 percent.
Author: Grace Gill